by ell brown
Stachybotrys – Some Important Facts About Black Mold
You can hardly find an individual who had not suffered from black mold. Mildews and black molds are the problem of the day. They grow on practically anything and amplify very fast. Different types of molds and mildews are found in nature. They grow naturally on dead organic substances. Molds collect their nutrition from organic matters and decompose complex molecules into simpler forms.
When dead animals, vegetables, foods or any other organic substances are abandoned in nature, they decompose naturally due to mold formation. Even if you leave any food, covered or uncovered, untouched for long, it starts smelling bad. The reason is mold.
Indoor mold growth can really be frightening if not inspected early. Among different types of molds and mildews black mold is frequently found in environment. Toxic black molds when grow inside your house lead to various health problems. What is black mold actually and how it is toxic?
Stachybotrys chartarum and Stachybotrys atra – Toxic Black Mold:
Stachybotrys atra and Stachybotrys chartarum are known as Stachybotrys or toxic black mold. They are greenish black in color and belong to fungi class. Stachybotrys or black mold is found worldwide. They prefer to grow in materials with high-cellulose content like lint, dust, paper, food, straw etc. They can also be found on gypsum, fiber board and other building materials that contain high amount of cellulose and nitrogen.
Humidity is the main life factor for black molds. When the high-cellulose substances get wet and hold the moisture for long, black molds grow on them. They produce spores and grow in number rapidly. 2 to 40 degree Celsius temperate range is ideal for the growth of Stachybotrys.
During mold removal, you need to ensure that the infected place is dry, otherwise it will be difficult to kill mold. Unless you remove the factors for life, you cannot control mold manifestation.
Why Stachybotrys is toxic?
They produce toxin, scientifically known as mycotoxins as the byproduct of metabolism. Production of toxin depends on various environmental factors like temperature, humidity, nutrition etc.
Exposure to mold toxins can be health hazardous for human beings. Irritation of throat and eyes, watery eyes, diarrhea, headache, skin rash and dermatitis, fatigue and flu like symptoms are the common effects of exposure to mycotoxins.
Stachybotrys chartarum is also reported to produce a toxin that may paralyze sperms and result in bleeding in lungs. Hence, everybody should try to avoid exposure to toxic black molds.
How to identify and kill black mold:
It may be difficult for home dwellers to inspect and locate the exact place of mold growth. Any exposure to toxins can lead to serious ailments. It is suggested to take help from professionals. They conduct a thorough investigation to find out the degree and location of mold growth. Mold testing result shows the type of mold that has infected your house.
With mold testing done, you can start mold cleaning process. Organic mold removers can effectively remove molds and mildews from your home. Unlike bleaches, natural cleaning products kill molds permanently. Top of all, natural products are free from side effects and do not affect your health adversely.